Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weekly Medical Show Critique

Hi everyone -

Well, today I thought I'd start out on a lighter note - it came to me last night while watching tv that it might be fun to write about some of the medical writing errors of today's tv shows.

Last night I watched the pilot of Three Rivers - which I have to say, I kind of enjoyed. I think it was a bit of a new idea for a medical show - set in a transplant hospital - with the hot Alex O'Loughlin from the undead Moonlight. I have to admit that I only watched it because I wanted to see O'Loughlin again. I was pleasantly surprised at the direction of the show, I enjoyed a lot of the subtle things about the medical field - sense of humor, use of our need for food all the time. lol. Then I caught the writers with their pants down a couple of times - at least 3. 2 may be forgivable - but one I just can't let go.

Mistake #1 was at the bedside of a dying patient - the doctor taking care of the patient brought up the whole donor aspect with the distraught wife. This just doesn't happen anymore. The medical professionals taking care of the patient are not supposed to be involved in the harvesting conversation. Here in CA, we're to call Legacy One and their representative is to come out and discuss this with the family to assure that there aren't any conflicts of interest. But, on my scale, forgivable sin - because this opened up the conversation later in the show to actually talk about the process and the conflicts involved.

Mistake #2 near the end of the show - showing the circle of life. It was a wonderful scene - the saved new mother with a new heart getting to see her brand new newborn on video. The electronic records and information technology aspects of the show are amazing. They have computer screens everywhere on the walls and windows. Anyway, just not realistic to think someone who just woke up from her heart transplant would already be extubated with a little nasal cannula on - and that her beautiful 28 weeker would be held by her husband in the nursery looking like a 6 month old. Again, forgivable for tv delivery. Cute moment for closing.

Mistake #3 - never ever forgivable. They were so on cue during the code in the beginning of the show. I was impressed. Then, when the pregnant girl codes again later, they defibrillate asystole. Oh noooooooooo. During CPR, there's only two heart rhythms that you can defibrillate safely and they are ventricular fibrillation/vfib and pulseless ventricular tachycardia/vtach. Not forgivable - who on earth was the medical adviser on this scene?

Anyway, overall an enjoyable fresh new show with a good pretty cast. We'll see how long it lasts.
Anyone else out there catch this show and see anymore medical mistakes? Let me know.

And then on a personal note, it was kind of funny watching the show because they were talking about cardiomyopathy and 10% ejection fractions and it just so happens that my favorite KP patient was in the ER yesterday. I always enjoy this man, he's just a joy for someone who is so chronically ill. He's been my patient many times over the last 9 years and even when he's not my patient, I actively seek him out to say Hi and see how he's doing.

I'd like to give a kudos to KP here and applaud a look into the future of health care reform. This is a man that normally would have died years ago. His heart is just a weak, weak muscle. He's got multiple chronic conditions - COPD, Diabetes, CHF, Cardiomyopathy just to name a few. He made himself a DNR years ago with a lot of discussion with his family and medical professionals. Yesterday he told me that he may be taken off Hospice/Palliative care now as he's doing so well. The Chronic Condition Department has been working with him and his family now very diligently, trying to keep him healthy and out of the hospital - which is one of the big goals of health care reform - cutting down on costs be preventing readmissions for the same diagnoses.
Apparently it works. So wow, if we're going to start paying for preventative services and better outcomes - to me, it looks like it just might work on several levels - the patients do better and we can cut costs and save money. Kudos.

Take care. More later on the public option.

No comments:

Post a Comment