Saturday, September 26, 2009

Should we really send more troops to Afghanistan???

Hello everyone -

I'm going a little off track today because of something that piqued my interest
today. I was watching the Bill Moyers Journal today on PBS and saw this interview with Rory Stewart. I took a look at his credentials - he was in the British military and worked for the foreign ministry as a diplomat - but I think I'd call him more of a scholar and humanitarian. His demeanor, which was very calm and gentle impressed me. And his knowledge about the Afghans and their culture as well as his 6000 mile trek across their country and his humanitarian efforts there interested me. I think our government needs to entertain some of his ideas - just maybe a little bit. I think possibly we need more people like this consulting with our government and military leaders when we fight on foreign lands.

Now, granted I pretty much know nothing about war or policy on war. I've always buried my head in the sand about it. I even, as an ex-military wife, just despised the fact that my husband, my family or my friends would ever have to deal with the misery of someone I know and love being some place far away and in danger. Or worse yet, they would be captured, tortured and killed or come home in a body bag.

I am very concerned about our soldiers safety - but also don't know whether we doing more harm than good to the innocent citizens of this foreign country as well. Don't misunderstand me, I want to be able to protect our country, I want to get rid of Al-Qaida as much as the next person - but what I'm questioning now is - are we doing it the right way? Do we continue to go in full force, all in the name of national security and state building? - at the risk of not accomplishing a whole lot of national security and doing more state destroying because we aren't successful on our reasonably short time table. After hearing this interview - I'm concerned that we'll go in with a lot more troops, lose a lot of men/women and not stay in long enough to accomplish the task at hand. Then we'll leave suddenly when the US citizens get tired of it - and leave the country in more shambles.

Take a watch and listen to what the man says. Tell me what you think. Do we need to refocus our goals on what's more realistic and attainable - with some more practical short and long term goals - protecting our national interests, conquering Al-Qaida and starting some humanitarian efforts - with more intel, more special forces - less ground troops.

Copy and paste this link to your browser.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09252009/watch.html

I want to say again that I don't know a whole about this subject and am still learning. I don't want to offend anyone or belittle at all what we've done so far and what it's cost anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment