Thursday, September 24, 2009

Life in the ER - Another Day, An Uninsured

Hi -

I'm just sitting here, taking a break from my day - to think another time about how the health care crisis affects us every day.

I decided that once in awhile, I'll just write a short blip about events that come to mind.

So, today - although I know I've told this story to some people, it's worth repeating.

Not so long ago, I had a patient in the ER that I won't be forgetting any time soon. I was just infuriated at the cost this gentleman has to pay for not being insured.

I don't know a lot about him - except that he was a hard working middle class American. He hadn't had insurance for at least 10 years; he just couldn't afford it. He worked hard to support his family and just hoped that he wouldn't get sick.

Well, in July, 4 weeks from when his Medicare would kick in - he would soon be 65, he dropped a board on his foot at home. It left a little wound on the top of his foot. He cleaned it up and kept an eye on it. About 3 weeks later and only a week before his Medicare would kick in - he woke up having pain. He noticed that his foot was now red and painful and looking kind of bad. Of course, he proceeded to the ER where he knew he would get treatment - like so many other uninsured individuals.

Gangrene had already set it. He was probably diabetic for awhile and didn't even realize it.

Now this was and is very sad - not just for this man and his family, but for all of us.

The man will lose his leg, not be able to work or support his family and have a lot of medical
bills and emotional trauma to come for years - all because he was just trying to hang on for 1 more month. As a nation, we will also lose - this man and probably his family will be our dependents. We'll have to pick up the tab for his uncompensated care. This will also probably take him out of the work force, requiring us to help support his family through other public programs.

I don't know about all you - but I just do not understand why this happens in America and in the 21st century.

My thoughts are with him and his family and the other Americans who suffer needlessly due to the way our health care system is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment