Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The New Public Option - Traveling Abroad for Health Care

Hi everyone -

Today as the Senate Finance Committee plays some more head games with American lives, I decided to do some research on a different aspect of universal health care - what I think I'll call The New Public Option.

I've been hearing very little scuttlebutt on what I'd consider a pretty good option in health care - medical tourism - traveling abroad for affordable, comprehensive health care packages. I find it particularly funny that I don't hear a whole lot of media or government officials discussing this particular option we now have as Americans. There are a lot of companies out there offering travel abroad for the needed affordable care that our own country is not offering our citizens. Of course, I've heard numerous party representatives talking about how Canadians or Britains come to the US for their care because they just despise their socialized medicine. But I find it quite interesting that a lot of Americans are going abroad as well as our own system is failing just way too many of our citizens.

At first glance, I think it would be pretty scary to go to some other nation, where I've always heard they give second rate care, you get what you pay for, no regulation or FDA approval, etc... But when I did a little research and also looked at numerous forums, I'm finding something quite to the contrary. People are getting affordable, top rated comprehensive care for their needed and elective procedures and care. And they're being treated like kings and queens during the process. I think the US has a lot to learn about medical care meets outstanding customer service.

Many of the larger hospitals in major metropolitan areas like India, Thailand, South Africa, Costa Rica, Argentina and Dubai offer medical tourism packages which include your surgery and a short recovery vacation. Some of these hospitals even have big names attached to them - like John Hopkins International Hospital in Singapore. Many have several accreditations including US endorsed. Many other citizens go across the borders to Canada and Mexico to save money on medications and treatment. It's estimated that anywhere from 150,000 - 1 million people cross the borders annually for their medical care. Some employers are now offering medical tourism packages to their employees as a way of saving big dollars for their employees needs.

I was surprised to read about the advanced technology and treatments for complicated diseases as well as world-wide known doctors these places have snagged. And surprisingly, I found most studies show that some foreign nations have about the same and even better patient outcomes as far as cure and remission rates for chronic illnesses like cancer and seizures. Also, the foreign country infection rates are far below some of the US facility rates.

Costs alone are a huge motivator in people going abroad for their care. With our 40 million plus uninsured and under-insured population, employers and people a like would be crazy not to take advantage of some of these packages. For instance, a hip replacement in the US costs approximately $65,000.00, only $8,000.00 abroad; a face lift costs approximately $20,000.00 in the US, only $1250.00 abroad and a heart valve replacement costs approximately $200,000.00 in the US and only $10,000.00 abroad. Keep in mind that these abroad costs cover everything - round trip airfare for two, all pre-op and post-op costs, a short stay-cation with a personal nurse and room service in a 5 star hotel setting. It's kind of like surgery meets spa day.

Click here to read a little bit about this publication - "Patients beyond Borders". Just look at the slide show that shows these amazingly aesthetic facilities.

Now I'd be irresponsible to think that all abroad care is up to "our" standards or safe, but I think it might just be something to look into, research, visit, compare, etc.. Fair Market anyone???? I think if the insurance companies and some of the US citizens are afraid of government run programs or getting control of costs through major reform, what will they think of outsourcing our health care as well??? Talk about something that could put all the insurance companies out of business. New Public Option anyone???

Let me know what you think ! Would you go abroad for an elective surgery, prescription refill, dental work. I think it would be pretty scary - but then on the other hand, if I weren't insured or weren't insured enough, I'd think I'd consider it. No waiting list, great doctors, great facilities, a spa week - you bet ch'a.

Take care until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment