Thursday, November 26, 2009

Critique of Past Week's Medical Shows

Hi again -

This one is for a little bit of fun again. I do love watching my medical shows. This week they fared much better.

I watched two different shows - Mercy and Three Rivers. I do love both of them.

I only found one mistake between the two of them this past week.

On Mercy, they were very busy saving a young Asian man who had an injury and became septic. When his heart stopped, the team was doing everything they could to save him - which they eventually did. They were doing CPR, ordering and giving all the correct medications - and then .............. placed a pacemaker - which was a last ditch effort to save him. Well, they placed the pacemaker, captured the rhythm and voiced all of these actions out loud. Too bad when they showed the monitor, it didn't show a paced rhythm like they said. Oh well - good job anyway.

On the other side, no errors this week at all on Three Rivers that I saw. But I do need and want to say one thing. Can any one say EMMY for Mandy Patinkin? Wow - he was amazing - although I guess he usually is. He played an ALS guy who was in an automobile accident. Post recovery, he found out he was going to have to be bed bound on a ventilator. He decided to make himself a DNR and remove himself from life support so he could donate his organs to other people and die a respectable death. He had it all down - even the voice and the movements. I must say I cried multiple times due to interactions with his daughter, the staff and the other patients vying for his organs. This show had a lot of ethical issues that were addressed and they handled them all well as far as I could tell.

Anyway - off this thing for today. I hope everyone is having or will have a Safe, Great and Happy Thanksgiving. I hope everyone is either spending their week with family or friends - or in our case, treating the ill and spending the day with co-workers. Keep the less fortunate in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment